CASE STUDIES (1 of 5)
Thermatech (TFC) was appointed as the fire consultants and fire advisers for this design and build project.
120,000 square feet of record storage and office facilities, Record storage on two floors with administration and support facilities on ground floor. Record storage divided into five separate climate controlled areas. Two plant rooms within the building with higher risk services in external buildings.
The clients brief was to develop a document storage facility that encompassed the very latest in passive and active fire technologies to provide the highest possible levels of protection. The items housed within the building are irreplaceable and their loss or damage to fire would have a major impact on our clients operations.
Thermatech produced a fire strategy that addressed all our clients concerns at the same time making sure that the building was fully compliant with the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 and the requirements of Building control document B 2006. Once this was accepted, the specification and tender documents were then produced by TFC to enable the contracts to go out to competitive tender. Tender evaluation was performed by TFC in conjunction with other specialists within the design team.
The systems and level of protection employed on the project include;
- Two hour fire separation for all internal walls, ceilings and support structures.
- Low smoke and flame materials used.
- Control and protection of structural penetrations.
- High Pressure Water Mist fire suppression in all areas.
- Air aspirating smoke detection systems.
- Addressable smoke detection systems.
- Hand held fire fighting equipment throughout the building.
- Full emergency and escape lighting systems in all areas.
- High security CCTV and entry/exit systems in all areas.
- Back up systems in case of system failure.
- Full management review and preparation of building procedures.
- Fire risk assessment.
The project was completed to a very fast time line of only 24 weeks and on budget.